Did You Know?
What’s Up, Germany? digs up some really interesting facts about literature and language for you. Enjoy!
1. Germany is the third-biggest publishing market in the world today.
2. There are 200 different versions of the Panchatantra in more than 50 non-Indian languages!
3. It took lexicographer Noah Webster 28 years to complete An American Dictionaryof the English Language! Published in 1828, it included 70,000 words.(New England Historical Society)
4. Eight German authors have won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
5. The Jaipur Literature Festival is the world’s largest free literary event. In 2018,more than 500,000 people attended the festival!(Dailyhunt)
6. German is the most widely spoken language in Europe. Apart from Germany, it is alsothe official language in Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.(World Population Review)
7. According to Google, as of 2010 there were roughly 130 millionpublished books throughout the world.(Factinate)
8. The Frankfurter Buchmesse is the largest trade fair in the publishing industry.The year 2018 saw more than 7,300 exhibitors from 102 countries taking part.This is where mega deals are struck!(Scroll)
9. The Dewey Decimal System is a classification system that allows new books to be addedto a library based on their subject matter. It is used in 200,000 libraries in 135 countries.(Offbeat)
10. Author and screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala is the only person to have wonboth a Booker Prize and an Oscar!(India Today)